Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday thoughts

Hello all... I saw this poster first time in an article I was reading about a couple in NYC. The article was in Domino...a now defunct design magazine I really enjoyed....along with Country Home, Blueprint, and Mary Engelbreight's magazine....anyhooo. Then I kept seeing the poster pop up in all kinds of cool apartments, homes, kitchens, bedrooms, just everywhere and I wanted it too! So, I ordered it off Etsy and framed it and hung it over our fireplace where a big basket of neat flowers and such used to hang over a neat arched window frame....that is now gone! I had noticed an abundance of silk flowers in our great room...they were all great, and I love them and they look not silk, but real and you would love them too and not think they were fake or anything....but they were just too much, so now here is our way=cool poster instead. How's that for thinking outta the box?
The fireplace mantle used to be white....boring...then I painted it dark dark blue, better....after our fire in '05 I had them paint it black and I added the embellishments and voila! better.
I am debating with myself on the idea of painting our kitchen cabinets...we have lived here at least 19 years longer than I ever thought we would.....we moved into the house brand new back in 1988!!! I turned 40 that summer too....we have moved into this house 3 times!!! painted the outside 4 times already, replaced the hv/ac 3 times and the water heater twice. We have had a house fire that netted us a brand new roof, all new insulation and dry wall not to mention pergo flooring downstairs and smooth ceilings throughout and all new ceramic tiles in the bathrooms....we are blessed. Now I think we should paint the kitchen cabinets....white....but I am scared. It is a big job, could look really bad and would be a mess or could look fantastic and we would do the happy dance....
I have been seeing alot of photos of bloggers who do this very thing and they all look so nice and everyone looks pleased....what do you think? Is this a fad (painted cabinets) or a real style statement?
ttfn
tts
cathy

2 comments:

Joyce Mineer said...

Go for it!!! Painting is the easiest, least expensive way to make a major change. And it's super easy to change if you don't like it! My cabinets are white (purchased that way) and I've never regretted it! Light, airy, breezy...I love them. Oh, and the hardware can make a statement, too! No, not a job I would want to undertake...I'd call mom and daddy for that one! hee, hee, hee!!

Can't wait to see you Monday night!

Karen said...

Hi Cathy - thanks to Joyce I found you! Yes, I agree, white really never goes out of style, does it? It will be fun to see before/after, right? See ya soon, Karen