Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscars....weather

Hello friends,
Seems to me all the buzz is either the Oscars or the awful or wonderful (depending on where you are at the moment) weather....I actually think this is a good thing, because, well, we could be talking the huge national debt, or say....instability in the mid-east...or perhaps threats from North Korea???? And that's just a start! What is going on? I am ready for some peace and civility. Doubt we will have that any time soon tho. Is it just me, or does the world seem a lot scarier? There are still good folks everywhere, but seems like the bad guys are center stage. What can good people do? Well. for now,we must be diligent in observing the world situation. Then, perhaps, we might have to stand up and speak up on an issue that burdens our heart. We might have to put our money where our mouth is and invest in a cause....We cannot be complacent, we must be passionate. Will refuse to be controlled by the media, we will thoughtfully and thoroughly research the issues and make intelligent and independent decisions based on our very own observations and opinions. We will remember the heroes of the past and what made them such icons. And I, for one, will pray.
Search yourself and discover your core values. Those values or principles you will not compromise ---ever. This is very important. Find some, take a stand, be a hero!
ttfn
tts
cathy

6 comments:

Summer Kinard said...

I have often wondered how the world would be better if we taught children healing prayer instead of violence, if our Christian identity through baptism were more important than the markers if class, race, politics, etc to us, if we turned off the tv and computer for an hour a day to pray. How would we be different? What peace would grow up in the world if we acted more like Christians?

Heather Fretz said...

Cathy,
Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog about my cJane post. It has stirred up some Mormon readers and I am loving it!
I wish Courtney knew the truth, maybe will always be deceived, but can't not tell the TRUTH!

Paul and Cathy said...

AMEN!

Jenny said...

Hello Cathy, Here was your comment to me:

Hi Jenny, I am here from cjane...just to clarify: Abraham, Isaac and David were not prophets. God did not command them to have multiple wives, and each got into big trouble when they broke their marriage vows....which is very clear in the Bible. God originated marriage and it is one man, one woman for life...not eternally....this is a "picture" of Christ and His Bride...the Church.
Lots of books are beneficial and enjoyable...I am a librarian so I am a real lover of books, but there is only one book that is the Word of God, that is the Bible. Sincerely, Cathy

I appreciate that you would take time to respond to my thoughts. I love this post you wrote about passionately standing up for the right thing.
The world needs more good people in the world. I hope you'll agree that Mormons are part of that good lot. We believe deeply in Jesus Christ, in following his example, and in following the teachings of the Bible.

Paul and Cathy said...

To Jenny, I do believe the world is full of many good people, Mormons included. I am also very happy we live in a free country where people can openly practice any form of religion they might desire. I certainly would not attempt to bully or intimidate anyone who did not believe as I do...on the other hand, if I believe in the Truth and feel an obligation to at least identify with the gospel of Jesus Christ, who is God, the son(second person of the Holy Trinity), then, I must.
Romans 1:16 says, "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ..." I think your gospel and mine are not the same. One of us is right, the other is wrong and my bible says we only get one chance at choosing who we will serve. (Hebrews 9:27) So, for the love of human beings, we are commissioned to "go, teach, baptise and make disciples" this command came from the risen savior. There is only one way and one truth and believing an error will have eternal consequences...for as much as I believe in a loving God who sacrificed His only Son to pay the penality for my sin...I also believe in a Holy God who cannot abide sin. Hell is the consequence for believing an error. Matthew 7:22-23 says "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy Name? And in Thy name have cast out devils? And in Thy name done many wonderful works? and then will I Profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Jenny said...

Cathy,
I know you're sharing your strong religious beliefs with me out of love and concern. However, I think faith is a very personal thing. I look around and see righteous, happy people in every faith. I too believe there is only one perfectly right way to live, but only Christ has lived that way. The rest of us imperfect people will have to rely on his atonement to be perfected. There is so much evil in the world that I think it is unfortunate for two Christians to argue about doctrine instead of banding together in our common belief in Christ, his teachings, and his example in order to fight the truly wicked things of this world.